Two of the most popular benchtop centrifuges sold by Hettich in South Africa, the Hettich Rotafix 32A and Hettich Universal 320 can easily be converted into a cyto centrifuge through a simple exchange of the carriers. The Hettich Cyto System consists of a comprehensive and flexible range of accessories for applications in cytology that are compatible with most existing funnel/slide systems, and therefore this eliminates the need to buy an expensive dedicated cyto-centrifuge. This system produces a high cell yield and a high-quality cytological preparation which can be derived from very different body fluids.
Hettich supplies single and multiple cyto chambers, clips and filter cards that allow the centrifuge to be adapted to meet individual requirements. In addition to the classical 4-place, 6-place and 8-place rotors, Hettich has now introduced two 12-place cyto rotors – one open and one closed. Sample volumes of up to 2 x 8 ml can be handled in the large-capacity chambers together with the double slide carrier, or alternatively 12 samples can be centrifuged at a time for higher throughput in a busy laboratory. The versatile Cyto system from Hettich is a valuable support for applications in cytological diagnostics and offers a number of advantages:
- Low purchase costs: The Hettich Cyto system fits every benchtop centrifuge from Hettich. The carriers are easy to swap over and make a conventional centrifuge into a Cyto one.
- Easy assembly: The different Cyto inserts are simple and quick to fit.
- Time savings: With the new 12-place rotors up to 12 samples can be centrifuged in a single run. The large-volume Cyto chambers allow centrifugation of 8 ml or 2 x 8 ml sample quantities. This dispenses without the need for the extra cell enrichment step in many cases.
- Optimum cell yield: If a two-step method is used, then no cells are lost during the sedimentation procedure as the Cyto chamber lies against the microscope slide. Drying is carried out in a second centrifugation step once the cells already adhere to the microscope slide.
- Dry or moist preparations can be derived as required: Subsequent staining is then very easy.